We are a Progressive congregation in word and deed. Since its inception in 1995, the United Church of Christ in Simi Valley has been one step ahead of other churches in Ventura County in its willingness to walk its talk.
- In 1998 this congregation unanimously declared itself Open and Affirming (ONA) of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered persons. We are still the only UCC church in Ventura County designated as ONA.
- In May 2006 we became the first and only church in Ventura County, across all denominations, to publicly declare itself a member of The Center for Progressive Christianity
- In July 2007, we became the first and only church in Ventura County to become a Sanctuary Congregation in The New Sanctuary Movement. We functioned as an active Sanctuary from August 2007 to September 2010 as we supported Liliana and her family. While Liliana received Deferred Action Status in 2007 from the Immigration Authorities, her case is still unresolved; yet she is now part of a larger struggle. UCCSIMI remains an active part of the Interfaith Coalition working for comprehensive immigration reform for our nation and justice for Liliana and her family.
- In June 2008, recognizing that county offices throughout the State of California began to issue licenses that recognize the legality of same-sex marriages, we publicly announced that we welcome all couples with equal regard who seek to covenant together in the rite of marriage
- Each of these steps says something about who we are and what we value. We are challenged and inspired by the life and teachings of Jesus. We engage in spiritual journeys, pilgrimages and processes that respect diversity and difference of opinion; and we practice an affirming faith that encourages involvement on behalf of those whose rights are threatened. These are foundational values that shape our decisions and inform our choices.